Inverted Triangle Shape
Were you a swimmer back in the day? Maybe you still are. Maybe you were born with beautifully wide shoulders.
If your top half is wider than your hips (your hips are narrower than your shoulders), your bust may be well-endowed (to give you width beyond your hip measurement) or not. Then you are a gorgeous Inverted Triangle shape. Yay!
Tammie, Mel and Jo from the Cossie Confidence Crew are our Inverted Triangle shape girls.
Tammie and Jo both have an E cup bust. Tammie is a size 12/10 and Jo is a 22/20. Mel is a B cup with her shape and a 14/12. Note the sizing. Top size different to bottom.
From a theory point of view, to 'balance' out your shape add volume to your lower half. The challenge with swimwear is however, finding pieces that frilled, and fuller about the bottom. And let's face it, it's not always practical.
A print at the bottom and plain at the top is easier to find and also a great option. Like this one. And that's easily done with a 2 piece option.
To support your bigger bust if that is what you have with your Inverted Triangle shape is #1. Wear necklines that work with your fuller up top shape like V's and scoops...nothing too high and solid to add volume.
And contrary to the 'theory' a strapless which will widen shoulders visually can look fabulous. It's up to you.
Other styles Tammie and Jo love are:
- The Underwire Ruched One Piece & Tankini - Jo loves the support the one piece in particular gives her. That style of cossie comes in quite a few colours and prints and is a staple in the Capriosca stable. Black, navy, navy is always available.
Look out for seasonal new prints too! Each season there is a new print in this style so look out for that. We will have Underwire Ruched in the title of the item. Use it in your Search!
To add visual boost to your bust and accentuate your narrower waist, then this style is 100% perfect!
- The Criss Cross is a wow swimming costume that will emphasise the bust area and create a visual waist. Tammie looks incredible in this style as does Mel (in the main image above). The rust was a seasonal colour but black is always available.
- Boyleg One Piece and Boyleg bottoms. Yep, not many can, but you can rock these styles with your narrower hips and fab pins!
These styles technically will add visual width to your shoulders but the girls love them just the same which is why we've included them :)
- The Zip Up (Frill Sleeve) One Piece supports is another winner for Jo offering a firmer fit about the bust. Now the frill will add to width up top so the choice is yours. If you unzip it to create the V neckline that will help. Jo loves it.
- The Bandeau - when worn strapless will visually widen shoulders. It's everyone's favourite style. Comes in many prints and plains. Here it is in Navy on Tammie.
Fit Tip: Having a bigger 'up top' than 'bottom' can mean you're better off with a 2 piece option. If you are more than 2 sizes difference, eg 16 top and 12 bottom then a one piece that will fit both parts well will not be an easy find.
That's why we offer an Alterations Service where we can have the legs 're-rubbered' and brought in for you. It's easy to do and worth every cent. Isn't it time you had a cossie that fitted perfectly?
Now all of the above sounds great but at the end of the day, they are suggestions. We want you to feel fabulous in what ever you choose to wear. No rules girls. But if you're confused or overwhelmed or perhaps after a freshen up with what you wear then these 'guidelines' are a place to start. Then as you gain in confidence, create your own.
Embrace your gorgeous shape and shine this and every summer. You are beautiful.
Anita & The Girls.