Do you over pack when taking a summer holiday? Lucky to wear half of what you take and the rest feels like a waste? Packing for a holiday is daunting but it is possible to get your summer suitcase organised without major stress or raising a sweat. Hardworking, versatile resort pieces like kaftans and summer dresses are the key. Here's how to bring it all together.
Think about it...just a little:
Measure thrice and cut once as they say.
- Think a bit about where you are going and what you might be doing. No point packing hiking shoes if you are lazing by the pool and beach the entire time!.
- Cull - lay it all out on the bed and plan your outfits for each day. Be ruthless. One 'just-in-case' dress as a spare and no more!
Sequence is Everything:
- Wear the night before what you are going to wear the next day. At night, accessorise away and throw on your heels. Layer your hero piece (kaftan, long top or summer dress). Then take that piece and throw it over your bathers the next day. Involves a bit of planning but will save your suitcase from overloading. Remember...less is more!
Ease up on the Shoes:
contrary to popular belief you can get away with 2 pairs of shoes, 3 if you plan on a beach run (or in my case, walk) every morning.
- Thongs - beach and day
- Metallic sandals or neutral wedges - day into night
- Joggers - if you must
The Right Underwear:
- a multi-way bra means you take one bra to wear with so many things and you you don't have to worry about the tops you take and those unsightly straps. How often you wash it, is completely up to you.
- Flesh coloured undies are perfect and go under any colour clothing – nothing worse than not being able to wear what you pack because your undies take over your outfit instead of you!
Max out on the Accessories:
Accessories are the antioxidants of the packing world and will do wonders to enliven clothes and transform a look from beach to bar. They don't take up much room but boy do they pack a punch!
If you don't wear it at home, then don't take it on holiday!:
Outfits can be transformed but if something doesn't quite fit as it should it mostly certainly will not fit perfectly on holiday. Also forget any item of clothing which is a little bit too tight because once you have added suncreams and a bit of heat it will feel tighter than ever!