5 handy tips for packing right and keeping cool on your next summer break:
#1 Pack 'natural fabrics': cottons and silks are perfect. They 'breathe' well in the humidity and will keep you cool. Don't underestimate silk...it's tough and will dry in a flash.
#2 Take clothes with Longer, looser sleeves: believe it or not, they will actually keep you cooler because they allow the air to circulate and keep the direct sun off at the same time. Let's not encourage those age spots or heaven forbid, skin cancers to come out any earlier than they intend to. They're also handy if you're out sight seeing, visiting places where cultural/religious dress codes are different and should always be respected.
#3 Consider Air Flow: during the heat of day. Summer dresses of all lengths are great for ensuring cooler, fresh air can circulate around your body. Skirts will do a similar thing as will kaftans and tunics. Knee length or long, they will still be cooler than skin hugging pants, t-shirts and even shorts!
#4 Pack versatile pieces: it'll mean packing less. Lugging over-stuffed bags around will certainly make you sweat! Make sure you take VERSATILE pieces in your holiday stash that will take you 'from beach to bar' in effortless style and grace.
Layering's the key and at night, when it's cooler, or you're in an air-conditioned restaurant, it's the ideal solution.
Kaftans and tunics are fabulous for layering or transforming from day to night. 'To the knee please' if you are less confident. Remember to keep the layering in proportion, the longer the top, the longer the bottom. Try:
- white/stone palazzo pants (wider leg...also helps to keep you cool)...will go with just about anything. Can't do wide? then consider a 'bootleg' cut which suits most shapes and sizes.
- jeans (paler/mid blue tones best...too dark often is too 'heavy' for summer)- everyone has a pair so you may as well work them harder
- summer slip dress - think air flow again! Length is important. To the knee please.
- leggings - cotton is great. Remember to the knee or all the way to the ankle...all about proportion.
- a light weight throw or cropped/classic to the hip, jacket. Denim and other neutral cottons work well.
- metallic/bling sandals or neutral wedges will go with anything. Don't over do it on the shoes!
- accessorise, accessorise, accessorise - wooden beads, a dash of bling and colour - they don't take up much room but boy, do they pack a punch and will transform your day look to night in a snap! Take naturals and a shot of summer colour for a quick pick-me-up.
#5 Don't forget your hat: the widest brim your face and body shape will handle. A hat will keep the sun directly off your head and face and help to keep you cool...bit like the long sleeves. Will also prevent premature aging...has to be a good thing! If a hat is all too much for you, try a uber cool cowboy hat or a visor. Not as great for sun protection but some is better than none.
Now go! Live your best summer!
Experts in 'Beach to Bar' dressing Sequins & Sand is dedicated to helping busy women 35+ look and feel fabulous on the beach and beyond. Our focus, Resort wear. Kaftans, beach wear, swimwear, sarongs, hats, beach bags are always on our mind, always in store. Shop The Shop now and start to live your best summer!