From the moment you leave home, you should be in beach holiday mode. One of the best ways to get you in the groove, is to wear stylish yet relaxed summer clothing before you get on the plane.
The answer: layer up!
The key to 'transit dressing' is no different to how you should pack for your summer holiday. No different for how you should create the perfect summer wardrobe for that matter.
* Chose versatile pieces to layer over timeless basics.
Then when you get to your holiday destination, simply peel off and you're away! Chose the right pieces and you can then 'mix n match' them with other tops and bottoms to create perfect beach to bar looks.
The Top Layer:
- a Summer Dress - some work better than others like Krystal and JuicyBear's Little Black Dress
- Kaftan - knee length or shorter like San Sebastian and Angel
Underneath: cotton with a touch of stretch for added comfort (so important when you spend a day in transit!). We call these 'Summer Basics'.
- Slip Dress
- Long trousers/pants
Over the Top:
- Denim jacket
- Soft, fine longer line cardigan - 'belt it' for a more relaxed, yet stylish look
- Accessories, accessories, accessories - just a couple of brights and neutrals to get you in the mood and wear to transform your kaftans and summer dresses when you get there. Bracelets work well if you don't want to go over the top.
Tip: if you are traveling from a much cooler climate to your summer place, then invest in a couple of fine cashmere or knits to layer under. Replace the cotton leggings with woolen ones. The focus is on fine. Cashmere is the ticket. It's so light you hardly know it's on, but it will keep you so toasty warm. Well worth the investment. Wear your ballet flats and then you can wear them out to dinner when you get there.
- For layering under, we love white...it simply says 'summer'. Equally neutrals like oatmeal, chocolate, khaki, grey will work well too as will the never out of date denim blues.
- Go easy on the black...one piece is enough. Save a totally black wardrobe for the city. Deep greys are a much better alternative, they just take the 'edge off'.
- Splash out on a bit of colour, even if it's in your accessories to get you in the holiday mood
So when you next head off on summer holiday, start as you mean to go on. Leave home with your stylish travel wear basics and you're well on your way to the perfect beach break!
H.G. (Holiday Girl)
Experts in 'Beach to Bar' dressing Sequins & Sand is dedicated to helping busy women 35+ look and feel fabulous on the beach and beyond. Our focus, Resort wear. Kaftans, beach wear, swimwear, sarongs, hats, beach bags are always on our mind, always in store. Shop The Shop now and start to live your best summer!